The initially episode of Eco-friendly Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers hosting “Jeopardy!” aired Monday. The three-time MVP has nine extra episodes airing over the subsequent two months.
How did Rodgers do throughout his opening visual appeal? It’s time to go to the tape to appraise the efficiency.
Here’s a light-hearted breakdown of Rodgers’ initially episode as guest host (notice: spoilers forward):
– Reliable intro. Appears to be like assured, ready for the minute. Perhaps too a great deal swaying again and forth. He may possibly be fighting some nerves, and which is just wonderful.
– Great task looking at the opening classes. Famous the quotations, emphasised critical or interesting phrases. Appears like a professional.
– Refined but noteworthy pause between “answer” and “Daily Double,” providing the first of several tributes to Alex Trebek.
– He read through the 1st Everyday Double a little speedy, probably out of excitement. Still did an exceptional position detailing the guidelines, the wager and also expanding the contestant’s remedy to give the comprehensive name. Strong get the job done.
– Dealt with his initial dilemma devoid of an solution from the contestants perfectly. Included a small humor. This is the way. He’s rolling now.
– He’s mixing up methods of confirming responses truly perfectly. “That’s the point out!” You can tell he watched a great deal of Trebek. His consolation stage commanding this point is increasing.
– Got a small hurried at the initially break but usually managed it nicely. Figured this may well be a single of the toughest jobs. You bought the producer telling you to get to break, and then you have to execute the outro without the need of rushing it. He’ll get better at it.
– Potent task with the contestant interviews. Acquired a couple very good stories. Very good transitions, but these points are normally a tiny uncomfortable. Requested exciting stick to-up concerns. And most importantly: a easy re-entry into the game.
– Hearing him say “Go Bears!” – as in, Cal Bears – will rattle some Packers enthusiasts momentarily.
– Hilarious position looking at the Larry David clue. “Pretty, fairly good!” And he additional a goofy pirate reference to validate 1 answer. Veteran things from the rookie host.
– Solid quality for the 1st round. Can he retain the momentum likely into Double Jeopardy?
– He has a fantastic voice for this. It’s absolutely not frustrating. In point, it’s possibly understated. But it is also enjoyable in a way. Trebek had these a robust but comforting voice. And he often knew when to use inflection and incorporate a small spice or emphasis to specific terms inside clues. We might want a minimal much more strength out of the NFL quarterback.
– Additional of the exact same in the future round. He does audio like a natural. In command of the board, strong looking through the clues, and gaining self-confidence in affirming answers. He doesn’t seem out of position at all, and the match is flowing properly.
– “But these days is Brandon’s working day.” Throwing out the dagger a tiny also quickly, Aaron? May possibly need to have to seek the advice of Wayne Larrivee about this.
– Scott, the two-day winner, threw him a curveball in Remaining Jeopardy, referencing the Packers’ decision to kick a area aim late in the NFC title sport, and he dealt with it like a pro. A massive smile when he permit the instant play out, and a amusing response. And a minimal jab: “Thanks for that.” It genuinely experienced a “Saturday Night time Live” vibe to it. Excellent stuff.
– Awesome instant with Mr. Rogers remaining the respond to to the remaining clue. Bonus points for Rodgers including a little something extra on to the conclusion following the winner, Brandon, guessed right. “Long-time Television host and a neighbor to so numerous.” Intelligent. Good way to wrap up the present.
– Oh, possibly a tiny mistake at the finish? History: “Jeopardy!” is matching the winner’s full and donating to the host’s charity of preference. Brandon gained $23,244. Aaron reported $26,244*. He’ll go back again to the tape and get that cleaned up for the next episode.
*It is possible the $26,244 comes from Brandon’s $23,244 additionally the next- and third-place winnings. In all probability my slip-up here. Whoops!
– Solid very first episode. The greatest compliment you could give him: He was organized, charming, and he emulated Alex Trebek well when incorporating his personal design and style and patented dry humor. Of the guest hosts so considerably, he and Ken Jennings audio the most pure. His planning paid out off in subtle but vital methods. I wager he’ll become more assertive with his voice and web hosting design and style as we get into extra and more episodes. But in conditions of initial impressions? This was marvelous.